Music: Tom Kitt
Book: Brian Yorkey
Lyrics: Brian Yorkey
Director: Corey Lynn Howe
Produced by: Paul Panico
Auditions to be held on:
- Saturday, February 24 10:00am to 4:00pm at Madilyn Clark Studios in North Hollywood
- Sunday, February 25 11:00am to 4:00pm at the Hillcrest Center for the Arts, 403 W. Hillcrest Dr. Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Please prepare 32 bars of an uptempo selection from a contemporary rock musical. You may also be asked to read aside from the script.
Call backs will be held on:
- Monday, February 26 7:00pm to 10:00pm
- Tuesday, February 27 7:00pm to 10:00pm
at Hillcrest Center for the Arts, 403 W. Hillcrest Dr. Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Rehearsals begin on Monday, April 23 2018
- Monday to Thursday, 7:00pm to 10:00pm
- Saturday and Sunday, TBA
Starting Monday, May 21 rehearsals will be:
- Monday to Thursday, 6:00pm to 11:00pm
- Saturday and Sunday, TBA
- Friday, June 1st
- One Thursday performance during the run.
- One Saturday matinee and evening performance during the last weekend.
For questions or to make an appointment contact us here
This is an American rock musical and winner of the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Next to Normal follows one woman’s struggle with mental illness and the effect of the illness on her whole family. Diana is the focus of a complex exploration into the “monstrous mother” trope frequently drawn on within the cultural contexts of film, television and theatre. The writers illuminated the experience of those suffering from bi-polar disorder.
Next to Normal has been called one of the best musicals of the 21st century and its soundtrack one of the best original soundtracks in a musical due to its graceful handling of its dark, complex subject matter and its moving and brutally honest exploration into pain.
This deeply moving piece of theatre provides a wonderful opportunity for performers to explore dramatic material and showcase vocal talents with an energetic pop/rock score.
- Natalie: 17-25, Any ethnicity, daughter; compelling, bright, contentious, and trying to be perfect; vocal range: belt/mix to an E.
- Dan: 30-50, Any ethnicity, handsome, genuine, dedicated husband/father; vocal range: high baritone/tenor to an A.
- Gabe: 18-25, Any ethnicity, dashing, bright, and playful bordering on sinister; vocal range: rock tenor to a B with a falsetto & comfortable mix.
- Henry: 17-25, Any ethnicity, romantic, stoner, slacker, supportive, philosopher king; vocal range: high baritone/tenor to an A.
- Dr. Madden/Dr. Fine: 35-50, Any ethnicity, assured, charismatic, a rock star of psychiatry, on the young side of ageless; vocal range: high baritone/tenor to an A, with a rock sound.
- The roll of Diana has been precast.
This is a non-equity production. There is a small stipend for performers.